Forum

Home Forums Cadets Steady green light on SMS Tracker

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BreJB 1 month ago.

• Author
    BreJB view profile
    Participant

Hi,

With the SMS Tracker, I am getting a solid steady green light (no blinking of any kind).
    I have tried it outdoors oriented upwards in an area of known mobile phone coverage.
    I activated the sim with a phone and made and received phone calls with it before placing it in the tracker.
    Using it in Australia with a Testra SIM Card/Telstra network.

Thank you for your consideration.

Brent B

Hide replies
    jchaplin view profile
    Participant

Hi, you need a sim/network that supports gsm/2g – i think telstra is all 3g/4g now so wont work with this device.

Hide replies
    BreJB view profile
    Participant

Hi jchaplin,

Thank you. Much appreciated. That makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense though is that I only just purchased the device this year from the SIS shop. It was an act of faith as the shop site doesn’t give (not that I’ve seen) specifications (such as network capability) for devices. I feel a burnt (ie. money wasted) as I’d hoped the device was up with the times – given that the world is turning off/has turned off their 2g networks. You’re quite right in that Telstra (and Optus) here in Australia have closed their 2g networks. 3g has what looks to be sufficient coverage in the area we’re flying in.

I see a shop just up the road has something that might be suitable (3g SMS transmitter) so I’ll pursue that.

Thanks again.

B

Hide replies
    jchaplin view profile
    Participant

Hi.  Yes I agree, took me a while to track down some instructions that confirmed it was GSM only.  We’re planning to use the SPOT satellite tracker too, which whilst more expensive, doesn’t rely on the mobile network which is poor in our area!  Maybe an option?

Also maybe SIS would accept a return?

Hide replies
    BreJB view profile
    Participant

We’re also using the SPOT tracker (also purchased through SIS) and have been trialing it tracking ourselves about our home town this last month. It’s looking good. A robust device. It looks to be precise to around +/- 30 m in my urban area.

But, funny – but while I understand the start-up sequence of this device, it’s minimalist approach (2 lights flashing red or green or a combination of both) has me fearful I might stuff up on the day when turning it on (I know I just need to look to see I’m receiving but …).

So, I was going to go ahead with a SMS messaging device as well for added security.  I’ve seen a 3G GPS/GSM tracker device in the Jaycar catalogue I’ll have a look at (I completely missed the electronics part of my education). An expensive item. But, just want this to all work. :-)

B
    <h1 style=”margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px 0px 5px; border-width: 0px; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; font-size: 22px; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; color: #002389; line-height: 1; word-wrap: break-word; border-style: initial initial none initial;”></h1>

Hide replies

Hi all,

On behalf of the team here at SentIntoSpace, we’re sorry that this happened. We had no idea that 2G was being depreciated in Australia by some providers – this has only come into force in the last six months and we get very few orders from Australia, so this is the first time this has been brought to our attention. The shop listing for the locator and kits is being updated and we’re looking into alternative location solutions that work over a more modern protocol.

We understand this is frustrating, but please understand that these products weren’t intentionally missold. For anyone else in this predicament, there are still providers who offer 2G coverage – in Australia, Vodafone will continue to support 2G until September. Other countries likely to be affected in the near future are Canada, Switzerland, Singapore, Taiwan and the United States.

Brent, we’ve sent you a replacement for the balloon whose packaging was damaged and a free additional SPOT tracker, as a way of saying sorry. Tracking details will be sent by email later today.

If anyone else has any issues, whether you’re in an area where 2G is depreciated or not, please get in touch directly so we can do our best to help you out.

All the best,

Alex

Hide replies
    BreJB view profile
    Participant

<p class=”MsoNormal”>Thankyou Alex,</p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>Our HUB flight would not be occurring at all if it weren’t for SIS. I’m thankful for the resources SIS has put together (material and intellectual). SIS has filtered through what is out there to determine what works; it is responsive to questions; the shop is quick to dispatch and the shipping from the UK is fast. You’ve made what would otherwise be a complicated and expensive process easy. I have no hesitation in commending SIS and recommending SIS to anyone who visits this website. I’m sure that being able to tell the flight regulators here in Australia that I was using a flight package put together by people experienced in HAB flights eased the path to obtain consent. It was mentioned on my risk assessment.</p>

<p class=”MsoNormal”>People in SIS are clearly busy and you’re shipping to many areas of the globe. I don’t think you should aspire to keep up with absolutely everything that’s going on. Having key specifications for items listed in the SIS shop would be one small way of letting customers check their own requirements before purchase. Perhaps SIS has tried to make thing too easy.</p>

Hide replies

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.